In a protest against the announcement made in union budget sessions over the privatisation of public sector banks, around 10 lakh bank employees working in PSU across the country called for a 2-day nationwide bank strike.
In line with the announcement made by the United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU), an umbrella body of nine key unions, the services at all the state-owned banks will remain shut for two days i.e, on March 15th and 16th.
It can be noted that banks were already closed on March 13 (second Saturday) and March 14 (Sunday), leading to a four-day break till Tuesday.
Here are the few important things the customers need to know,
- Services such as deposits and withdrawal at branches, cheque clearance and loan approvals would be affected due to the strike
- ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank and Axis Bank will continue to offer services during strike
- Unions in four General Insurance Companies will be on strike on March 17 while all unions in LIC are on strike on March 18
- Despite the strike, ATMs of all nationalised banks are likely to remain functional across the country.
- Customers can use digital channels like the internet or mobile banking and ATMs for making transactions during the strike
- Banks have also said that they are taking all the necessary steps to ensure the smooth functioning of bank branches and offices