The global health scenario took a disastrous turn with the Delta COVID variant spreading across the world. Not only is the variant spreading fast but damaging the immunity system of people who received both doses of the COVID vaccine.
A section of health experts argued that the new variants waning effectiveness of antibodies from COVID vaccines may be leading to a rise in the possibility of infections. Amidst this, the demand for a booster shot has increased in many parts of the world. What are vaccine boosters..? Are they effective..? Is it a need of the hour to take the vaccine..?
What are vaccine boosters..?
With new variants attacking the body, many health experts believe that vaccine-induced immunity may decrease over a period of time. Booster shots are given to people who have been fully vaccinated, so as to re-expose their immune system to the immunizing antigen.
Do we really need them..?
COVID booster dose will be prioritized for people who have compromised immunity. As COVID-19 vaccines were first made available to the most vulnerable in society, similarly, COVID booster dose will be prioritized among people with compromised immunity.
The CDC has provided a list of people who are eligible for the vaccine as of now.
– People receiving treatment for tumors and blood cancer
– Advanced or untreated HIV infection
– Those who have undergone an organ transplant
– People who have received a stem cell transplant and are taking immunosuppressant medications
– People dealing with moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency
– People who are under high-dose corticosteroids treatment or any other drug that can suppress immunity
While India’s Bharat Biotech is currently in the process of developing a vaccine booster, countries like Israel and the United States of America have already started offering booster shots.