An incident of food poisoning occurred in Basara’s IIIT on Friday. Students who ate egg curry rice in the afternoon in the mess fell seriously ill. Egg curry rice was provided to the students as food in both the messes in the afternoon.
An hour and a half after eating the students had vomiting and diarrhea. More than 350 students were rushed to the IIIT hospital for treatment from the hostel rooms with vomiting and diarrhea within a short period of time. As the number of students falling ill with food poisoning increased, the hospital administrators of IIIT immediately administered first aid.
Many critically ill students were taken to Nizamabad Hospital in two ambulances. Due to the lack of medical staff in the hospital in Triple IT and the high number of sick students, the authorities have taken alternative measures to provide prompt medical services. As a part of this, the medical officers and health personnel from Bhainsa and Mudhol hospitals were taken to Basara IIIT.
Those who weren’t affected as much as the others were kept in their respective hostel rooms and given pills. Others were also shifted to other hospitals in faculty cars. And the matter of food poisoning was kept very secret. The authorities tried keeping the matter a secret without letting the media know about it.