The people of the state were left in tears as they felt that the sufferings of the poor would be alleviated if a separate state of Telangana was formed. Three acres of land for the poor, Dalit CM, Dalit Bandhu, loan waiver for farmers, double bedroom houses for the poor, none of these guarantees have been fulfilled. As of now, people haven’t received a single guarantee. This started a revolt among the people of Telangana against the TRS government. The bigger picture of the situation clearly implies that the state government has badly deceived the people, especially in the case of double bedrooms.
The state government has announced in its election campaign that it will build double bedroom houses for all the homeless poor. But it has not been done so far. Now, this double bedroom house issue has gotten bigger in the Rajanna Sirisilla district. The ward meeting held on Wednesday for the selection of beneficiaries of double bedroom houses turned out to be quite dramatic. A young man named Bhanotu Naresh tried to pour petrol and kill himself believing that injustice was done to him in the distribution of houses.
Authorities surveyed Bhupathinagar, Chinnabonala, and Mushtipalli villages under Chinnabonala in the 10th ward of the district center and identified 78 people as eligible. During the ward assembly set up in Chinnabona three months ago, the villagers voiced out asking the government to give them the double bedroom houses to all the deserving. Looking at the house being allotted to only a few of them, the rest of the lot started protests against the government. With this rift, authorities ended up postponing that meeting.
Recently a meeting was held for the selection of beneficiaries for the second time. Officials announced that 44 of the 78 beneficiaries assigned to the ward will be selected. However, the villagers were concerned that the houses, plots of land, and properties were being allotted to those who were not eligible. They got into an argument with the authorities demanding that their names be removed and assigned to the deserving. The situation there was tense for a while.
With this unrest, the house was adjourned till evening. Municipal Commissioner Sammayya, Tehsildar Vijay Kumar, Councilor Bolgam Nagaraju Goud along with officials announced the removal of 19 out of 78 names. Of the 44 double bedroom houses allotted to the ward, 11 have been declared allotted under SC, ST reservation. “The remaining 33 beneficiaries will be selected on a draw basis,” officials said. The villagers obstructed the authorities and demanded that a survey be conducted with the special authorities and based on the results, the houses should be given to the poor.
Protestors went on to say that the houses must be given to those who will be found eligible in the survey. At the same time, a young man named Bhanotu Naresh from the village said that he was living in a hut and was found ineligible for the program. Out of angst, he tried to pour petrol and kill himself at the venue. He was stopped by police along with officers present there. Looking at the situation, authorities quit the event for today, leaving the place.