Besides the landslide victory of TRS, the 2018 Telangana State Assembly elections have marked another big thing which shocked both the authorities and the voters. According to Telangana chief electoral officials, nearly Rs 137 crore was seized by the police authorities across Telangana during the election campaigning. Including the 10 lakh litres of liquor, unaccounted gold and silver ornaments this was termed to be one of the costliest elections ever held.
But how fair are the Telangana government regarding the money seized and cases registered? In connection to this, the Forum for Good Governance collected the key information from all the police stations regarding cases registered and money seized. As per the analysed information, 640 cases of money seizer valued Rs 84.36 Cr were reported during 2018 Telangana State elections while the police filed FIRs for only 159 cases valued Rs 28.27 Cr. The facts revealed that the state police has ingeniously shunned the big fishes while booking petty cases. What happened to the rest 481 cases which valued at 56.09 Crore?
Below are a few of the biggest traps during the campaign which went ignored,
- Rs 10 lakh seized at Khanapoor Haveli which has no FIR filed and action dropped
- Rs 81 lakh seized at Adilabad – no FIR filed
- Rs 50 lakh seized at Chiragpally of Sangareddy – no FIR filed
- Rs 17.26 lakh seized at Shamshabad – no case registered
Jangaon Police also seized Rs 15.80 Crore cash during the elections which have Hawala links! As per the protocol, the cases must be reported to the enforcement directorate while the local police are still handling them. Meanwhile, to everyone’s shock petty cases over seizing Rs. 500 were registered. It was also reported that a number of arrests took place across the state for carrying minimal amounts.
- Gadwal cops seized Rs 500 – case booked.
- Dammapet police arrested 3 for carrying Rs. 1,650.
- Ashwarao PS arrested a man for carrying Rs. 2,200
- Ashwapuram cops seized Rs 4,000 and arrested one