The developments in the recent Banjara Hills Drugs bust are revealing way too many shocking things. One thing everybody is aware of is the inability of the police to root out the wrongdoings on the city premises. Despite the police station just a kilometer or two away from the pubs, authorities failed to control the scenes. As of now, there is no explanation from the police regarding the lack of action against the criminals. As of now, the trial is going on and if everything is done legitimately, we can assume finding out many other underdogs who went unnoticed all this while. In fact, a few years ago the Union Home Ministry warned the state government, saying that the number of people addicted to drugs is increasing in Telangana. At the same time, a survey conducted by the Union Ministry of Social Justice revealed a number of horrific issues. It has been found that 20% of people are constantly drowning in alcohol.
KCR did not pay heed to these alarming conditions despite the center’s warnings. KCR all of a sudden announced that he will be setting up a wing with a thousand people who will crackdown on the whole drug mafia. It has been years until that was said, but KCR hadn’t taken any action against anyone until now, and nor is there a special force with thousand police officers. In October last year, a high-level meeting was convened and the same thing was blown out of proportion, with no action on the ground. He promised to set up a special Narcotics Enforcement Wing in Hyderabad. But it did not materialize. Although some officers are working, it looks like it is only for the namesake. With all the failed efforts on one side, the number of drug addicts in Telangana is skyrocketing with each passing day.
As per the sources, up to 2 lakh, people are addicted to cannabis in the state. Nearly 6 lakh people became addicted to OPM and 4 lakh people became addicted to drugs through medical shops drugs. In addition to these, another 2 lakh people are drowning in local drugs. Nearly 22 thousand people are addicted to cocaine. A 2 lakh people are addicted to amphetamine. According to the Center, there are 1.80 lakh people who are addicted to marijuana and other local commodities in various forms like oil and powder. All these figures are as stated in 2019. There are allegations that the number is now increasing further due to the negligence of the state government.
However, criticisms are heard that the KCR government is using drug cases only to divert any issue. Many are of the opinion that the same has happened in the case of a Tollywood drugs case in the past. The case has been widely criticized for the way the government put pressure on Akun Sabharwal to completely water down the facts. Critics voiced that the TRS is diverting the attention of the people of Telangana by focusing and stressing on drugs case. They are of opinion that drugs case is just a pawn used to divert people.
What did the Telangana police accomplish in the Banjara Hills pub case so far?
Assuming that the pub culture in the city will enhance the urban conduct, some key decisions were taken by the Telangana government to encourage the establishments. TRS Sarkar issued some key directives five years ago thinking that it will grow through pubs. Liquor can be sold 24 hours a day in five-star hotels. It is alleged that permission was granted for this by taking crores of rupees in bribes. One of such pubs that got permission was the pudding pub in Radisson Blu. It has always been common for parties to take place here. VIPs’ sons and daughters use this as a weekend place. Celebrities party here. However, there is a rumor that the task force has joined hands with the officials to hurry up and acquire a quick promotion professionally. The police brought in over 150 people who were all drug addicts, showing that only a few were arrested. The rest were left without conducting any tests.
There is a discussion that some of them are carrying drugs. If blood samples were collected from them, everything would be clear. But .. there are allegations that 30 people escaped while riding. After that, the concerned CI was transferred to another city. The secret agenda behind the failure to conduct any tests are giving rise to whispers in the department that there is no other intention behind this, except for a police officer’s desperate need to get promoted.
The plans that were implemented by the Task Force- All the Lies told:
1. They said that despite the allowance or the permit for 24 hours, 150 people were brought in because of the reasons like running beyond the time.
2. The task force, which says it has brought everyone in, has left some. Did anyone detect the use of drugs? Do you identify those who have taken drugs while the mafia is taking lives? All those people were kept at the station for 12 hours. Aren’t they educated enough to collect bits of their hair, nails, and blood samples for the tests?
3. OTP business is common in big hotels and pubs. How can they conclude that it is for drugs? Many bars and restaurants in the city have set up an OTP system so that one can join the party at one’s own risk without riots. Even those who do not know anything are trying to accomplish fame by attacking anyone and calling them mafia.
4. In times and situations like this, police must catch at least one person red-handed. Hundreds of criminals can escape, but not even one innocent must be punished, don’t they know this? No matter how many obstacles, there are suspicions that the police are behaving like wolves attacking a herd of sheep with no intention of hitting the target alone.
5. The police often attack the spaces when the heirs of politicians, celebrities, high profile customers are at the venues. They target management, not just sources where they come from. But what is the point of telling superiors to take the light even if they have told the CIA in the past about this management affair?
6. Does the task force have the guts to figure out how many lakhs of rupees a month are going to the authorities from the drug mafia to continue their activities? The Excise Department should suspend the narcotics enforcement officers who claim to be newly formed if there is any actual drug dealing but what is the point of sacrificing a CI who is strictly following the law and order? Who gave the media a list of those who did not take drugs?
7. Only cocaine less than 5 grams was found at three birthday parties. Will the officer who came as Banjara hills CI from North Zone Task Force gather evidence to punish them? Can he extract sources and solve the issue for good?
Powerful then, now the challenge is to retain power!
It has become difficult for the newly appointed CPs to retain their power in the twin commissions. Starting from the media management, they have to work with all the MLAs in the party and win the hearts and minds of the people. One CP got hugely discredited on social media for his behavior in the Minister Srinivas Goud assassination conspiracy. Evidence could not be gathered in any case, and with all the accused getting bail, they are slowly realizing that policing is not power. The ruling party’s intention to be good with the media is out of tune. Although the news first came in Cyberabad, then they were in the process of controlling the damage. But police commissioners have not yet emerged from that trap. Now similar scenes are being seen in the Hyderabad Commissionerate which is truly worrisome. Media friends also say that the plan to oust the then CI and get the intended officer has been successful. Senior police officials warn that as their seniority grows, the powerful police officers mold themselves along with the interests of the political leaders and media representatives which is dangerous.