By the time the state took a festive hue with the government giving a nod to liquor sales, Jagan and his team gave a major jolt to the tipplers on Tuesday. Hours after it raised the liquor prices by 25 per cent, the Andhra Pradesh government has hiked another 50 per cent, taking the total overall hike in the price of liquor to 75%.
Claimed as the move to discourage the drunkards from alcohol consumption, Special Chief Secretary (Revenue) Rajat Bhargava state that the revised rates will be effective from Tuesday afternoon. The government also decided to open liquor outlets from 12 noon, instead of 11 am, till 7 pm.
According to the sources, the fresh hike in rates could fetch an additional revenue of Rs 9,000 crore per annum. Of the total 3,468 retail liquor outlets run by the state-owned AP State Beverages Corporation Limited, 2,345 were opened which witnessed throngs and Lon queues.