While the preliminary reports probing the leak of styrene suspected that the accident occurred as the plant’s cooling system was clogged, a detailed study held by AP Pollution Control Board(APPCB) has revealed shocking facts in the Vizag gas leak incident.
As the reports showed Styrene as the main culprit, APPCB studies held after collecting residues collected from the nearby places indicated that it was not just Styrene but the combination of few other poisonous gases which led to the disaster which claimed 12 lives.
A study reportedly made by AP Pollution Control Board is learnt to have revealed that the fumes that came out of the plant comprised 80 per cent of high-density Styrene and the remaining 20 per cent of other gases like Benzene and Ethylene.
According to the chemical experts, this combination would have a long-lasting impact on the health of the people in the surrounding villages. It was learnt that the officials are deliberately hiding the facts as there were no chemical engineers in the plant at the time of the leak. Besides not using a warning system to alert local residents, LG Polymers welcomed criticism over not having enough number of engineer on duty who could handle the untoward accidents if any